Entrance tickets to the convent of Santa Maria Nuova and the Duomo di Monreale
- Admire the rich and varied decorations of the capitals with themes related to religious iconography
- Visit the splendid cloister of Santa Maria Nuova and the Duomo of Monreale
- Discover one of the most important monumental buildings of the Sicilian-Norman Middle Ages
The cloister belonging to the Benedictine Abbey of S. Maria la Nuova, founded in 1174 at the behest of the Norman King Guglielmo II, serves as the pivot of the entire abbey complex developed around it. Square-shaped, it is punctuated by ogival arches on twin columns, tetrastyle at the four corners, decorated with chevron styled mosaics, and with late-classical phytomorphic motifs.
Similarly, the decoration of the capitals is rich and varied, with themes related to religious iconography, the Old and New Testament, animals drawn from the medieval bestiary and the Middle Eastern tradition with phytomorphic motifs.
For the first time, a unique guided tour will lead the public to discover one of the most important monumental complexes of the Sicilian-Norman Middle Ages and will help you to understand the founding idea that moved King Guglielmo II, who strongly desired the construction not only of the Cathedral of Monreale, but of the entire abbatial complex. Thanks to the synergic collaboration between the Cathedral Basilica of Monreale, the Superintendence for Cultural Heritage of the Sicilian Region, with the CoopCulture dealer, a visit itinerary has been thought through that reconstructs the integrity, articulated in different sacred spaces and in the power of architecture. The declared intention of the Norman king was to become the reference point of the ecclesiastical world on the territory. He also granted the monastery to the Benedictines who came from Cava dei Tirreni for this reason. Archbishopric since its foundation, architecturally speaking, the cathedral was completed with the construction of the extraordinary cloister, an elegant example of monastic architecture, a true hortus conclusus in which it is easy to imagine the monks walking, reading and praying. The tour will guide you in the exploration of the Duomo, and your guide will help you to read the Old and the New Testaments on the mosaics. Admire the Christ Pantocrator and then move on to the Chapel of the Crucifix - better known as the Roan Chapel, named after its founder - which houses the Treasure of the Duomo. Then you will enjoy a visit to the Diocesan Museum, and the chapter hall of San Placido which housed the assembly of the monk. To conclude, there will be a walk along the cloister's ambulatories. Don't miss the shared experience of the Duomo's terraces where you can enjoy an extraordinary view of the city.
- Admission ticket for the Complex of Monreale (Cathedral, Roano Chapel, the Cathedral's terraces and cloister)
- Audio guide for the visit to the cloister
- Guided tour
- EU citizens between the ages of 18 and 25
- Permanent teaching staff from EU state schools
- EU and non-EU citizens under the age of 18
- EU tourist guides by presenting a valid license issued by a competent authority.
- On-duty EU interpreters exercising their professional activity by presenting a valid license issued by the competent authority.
- Student groups from EU public and private schools with accompanying teacher (1 for every ten pupils), only by reservation and only if within the reservation quota established by the head of the institute
- Members of: ICOM (The International Council of Museums), ICCROM
- Teachers and students in architecture, conservation of cultural heritage, educational sciences and degree courses in literature or literary subjects with an archaeological or historical-artistic focus in literature and philosophy departments at universities and academies of fine art and enrolled in respective schools of continuing education, specialization and doctoral research in the aforementioned disciplines in all member countries of the European Union. please note that the ticket will only be issued to students showing an enrollment certificate for the current academic year excluding Unitre - Università della Terza Età
- Socrates and Erasmus students from the previously mentioned disciplines
- Students enrolled at the Istituto Superiore per la Conservazione ed il Restauro (High Institute for Conservation and Restoration), the Opificio delle pietre dure (Workshop of semi-precious stones), the Scuola per il Restauro del Mosaico (the Mosaic Restoration School)
- Groups and/or experts authorized by the superintendency
- employees of the Regional Department of Cultural Heritage and Sicilian identity of the Sicilian region
- Honorary inspectors of cultural heritage in Sicily
- Permanent and fixed-term teaching staff
- Membership paying EU and non-EU journalists by presenting valid certification
- Officers of the Carabinieri Command for the Protection of Cultural Heritage
- EU disabled people and a family member or qualified caregiver with valid certification
- Members of voluntary groups that carry out, according to the active agreements with the Ministry pursuant to article 112, paragraph 8, of the code, activities for the promotion and dissemination of knowledge relating to cultural heritage
OTHER FREE ADMISSION
- Free admission to the cloister on the first Sunday of the month for individuals and groups
- Free admission to the cathedral every day for individuals and every Sunday for groups
Piazza Guglielmo II, 1, 90046 Monreale (PA)
- The site has wheelchair access which is limited to the area of the convent on the ground floor with entrance from the Villa Comunale
- The ticket for the abbey complex of Monreale includes the Roano Chapel, the cathedral terraces, and the convent. Admission to the cathedral is free
- The audio guide for the cloister is only available in the following languages: Italian, English, French, Spanish and German
- The cost of the ticket is 12 euros
- Monday to Saturday: 9.00am - 7.00pm (last admission at 6.30pm)
- Bank holidays: 9.00am - 1.30pm (last admission at 1.00pm)
- From Monday to Saturday
- From 8.30am to 12.30pm and from 2.30pm to 4.45pm
- Bank holidays: from 8.00am to 9.15am and from 2.30pm to 5.00pm
- Sundays and during the celebrations closed to visits and group entries
- Monday to Saturday: 9.00am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-5.00pm
- Sunday: 2.30pm-5.00pm
- Closed: 1 January, 1 May, 25 December
¡Descubre Palermo, la capital de Sicilia, a bordo de los autobuses turísticos descapotables de la ci...
La Zisa, costruita nel XII secolo, fu concepita durante la dominazione normanna in Sicilia. La sua f...
Salga de Palermo temprano por la mañana para llegar al oeste de Sicilia y a la zona alta de Erice. E...
Comience su viaje en Palermo y llegue a Piazza Armerina. A su llegada, visitará la impresionante vil...
Únase a este recorrido a pie por el centro histórico de la ciudad de Palermo para aprender sobre la ...
Esta visita privada, que durará aproximadamente 3,5 horas, le dará la oportunidad de explorar la cul...
A través de este recorrido a pie de 3 horas tendrá la oportunidad de visitar, con un guía privado, l...
Con esta visita guiada privada de 4.5 horas a Palermo, disfrutará de los tesoros más importantes de ...
Palermo tour a pie, medio día o un día entero para descubrir Palermo, Capital de la Cultura 2018, ac...
Asista a una clase de cocina privada por la mañana o por la tarde, aprenda los secretos de las recet...