Half-Day Tour from Arras or Lens to Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial and Thiepval British Memorial
- Explore the Newfoundland Memorial in Beaumont-Hamel at your own pace
- Discover First World War sites including the Franco British Memorial in Thiepval and the Lochnagar Crater in La Boisselle
- Enjoy comfortable private transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
You will be picked up at the train station or at your hotel and first be driven in an air-conditioned vehicle at the Newfoundland Memorial in Beaumont-Hamel. On 1 July 1916 at 9 am, the men of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment suddenly found themselves under fire from German machine guns. Half an hour later only 68 men were still alive. In view of the number of soldiers involved, this attack is considered to be one of the deadliest battles of the Somme offensive. In Beaumont-Hamel the Newfoundland Memorial gives a moving and realistic impression of the battles waged here thanks to a beautifully preserved network of trenches. You will find here You find English and French speaking guides
You will after be driven to Thiepval and discover the Franco-British Memorial, the largest British war Memorial worldwide.. It was built between 1929 and 1932 and was designed by Edwin Lutyens, the greatest and most prolific British architect of his generation. It commemorates the 72205 men of the British and South African armies who died or went missing in the Somme between July 1915 and March 1918. In Thiepval, you will see also the Ulster Tower, which is a copy of Helen’s Tower in Clandeboyne, Ireland, where the Ulster Division trained. The tower was built in 1921 thanks to public funds. The Gothic troubadour style tower commemorates the soldiers of the Ulster battalions who fought here, in particular on 1 July 1916.
The last stop will be in La Boisselle, to see the Lochnagar Crater. This impressive mine crater, measuring 91 meters across and which is 21 meters deep, is the result of a series of explosions on 1 July 1916. The craters were created at 7.28 am and the detonation of the mines marked the launch of the Battle of the Somme by the British troops You will find here English and French-speaking guides in the interpretation center.
- Meet and Greet
- Round-trip private transportation
- Train station or hotel pick-up
- Comfortable and air-conditioned vehicles
- Bottles of water
- Lunch and food
We will be picked you up at the train station or at your hotel
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking
- You will set with your driver the time of return
- There are English and French speaking guides at Beaumont-Hamel and in the visitor center at La Boisselle
- Visits are free of charge
- The price included 2:30 hours of waiting time
- Wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour will have a maximum of 4 passengers
- Closed from 19/07/2019 to 11/08/2019
Walk the footsteps of 2,000-year old history as you explore the heart of Paris, Ile de la Cité. Sitt...
Spend a day exploring Paris in a very unusual way. This excursion on foot and river boat will show y...
You will be picked up at the train station or at your hotel and be driven in an air-conditioned vehi...
You will be picked up at the train station or at your hotel and be driven in a comfortable vehicle f...
You will be picked up at the train station or at your hotel and first be driven in an air-conditione...
This year, Santa Claus is spending December 28, and believe that he has a very, very, very nice gift...