East Berlin and Cold War walking tour
- Visit the Berlin Wall Memorial, Palace of Tears and Ghost Stations
- Learn more about life in East Berlin during the Cold War
- Listen to stories about the secret police and escape attempts
- Walk along Bornholmer Straße, the first border to open in 1989
Discover Berlin during the era of Kennedy, Khrushchev, Gorbachev and Reagan, when there were armed border guards watching over the Berlin Wall and people digging secret escape tunnels underneath. Travel back in time and learn about life in East Berlin that was shaped by communism, secret police and the Berlin Wall.
Your expert guide will explain why Germany was divided into two parts, whether East Germany was the most spied upon society in history and if the fall of the Berlin Wall was really an accident. Visit several historic sites and end the tour where the Cold War did, at the Bornholmer Straße. Thousands of East Berliners came together here to demand the opening of the border. This lead to the first open border crossing during the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Some of the historic sites you will see at a glance:
- Brandenburg Gate
- Palace of Tears (Tränenpalast)
- Ghost Stations
- Tunnel 57
- Bornholmer Straße
- Soviet, French, British, and American Embassies
- 'Death Strip'
- Chapel of Reconciliation
- Berlin Wall Memorial
- Expert guide
- Ticket for public transport
- Children (0-11) accompanied by an adult: free
- Youth (12-25): reduced
- Students (with vaild ID): reduced
- Senior (65+): reduced
Hackescher Markt, Neue Promenade 3, 10178 Berlin
Meet your guide in front of Starbucks at the Hackescher Markt
- This tour operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please note: you will need an AB day pass for public transport
- November to 31 March: Saturday at 10.00am
- April to 31 October: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 10.00am
This cruise on the Spree in Berlin is the perfect option for you, if you want to see as much of Berl...
Tradition and innovation. Structure and freedom. Monochrome and vibrant colour. All can be utterly f...
First time in Berlin? This is the perfect tour for you! Visit all of Berlin’s most famous sights and...
Hop on a bike, discover Kreuzberg, Prenzlauer Berg and Friedrichshain and experience the 'real' Berl...
Discover Berlin’s ambivalent queer history, including both periods of celebration of sexual freedom ...
Discover Berlin from a whole new perspective! Whether it’s your first time visiting or you’re an old...