Join a trekking excursion on the craters of the Etna and spend a morning discovering some of the most fascinating views in Sicily: you'll begin your experience in Piano Provenzana from where you'll head to the summit craters of the volcano. The first stop will let you see the ruins of the Hotel delle Betulle, the only visible structure that remains today after all the others were destroyed by the lava flow of October 2002. The route gives you the opportunity to visit and learn about several volcanic morphologies, related to the series of eruptions that occurred on the northern side of the Etna. After admiring the specific volcanic structure called “hornitos” (“small oven” in Spanish), you'll continue up along the cinder cones of the 2002 eruption (called Bottoniera), till you reach the maximum height of 2.100mt on the edge of the craters. After taking in the wondrous view you'll head down inside a sandy channel, to reach once again the starting point.
Trekking excursion to the Craters of 2002 eruption
Language: English , Italian , French
Availability: Every day
Mobile voucher accepted
Duration: from 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours
Do this because
- Discover some of the most fascinating sights in Sicily on a trekking excursion on the craters of the Etna
- Head to the summit of the Volcano along paths that will help you learn more about the volcano and the history of its eruptions
- Take in the amazing view from the top and look into the volcano from the edge of the craters
What to expect
- Trekking excursion
- Children (0-12): reduced
Via Provenzana, 35, 95015 Linguaglossa CT, Italy
At the Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord office.
What to remember
- This experience requires a minimum of 2 participants
- The excursion could be subjected to variations in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions that may undermine the safety of the entire group
- Please make sure to be well aware of your own health conditions on the day of the experience: if necessary, let the Guide know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problems and to avoid any risks
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part in the activity
- Trekking requires discrete physical preparation and attention during the activity
- Difficulty: For excursionists accustomed to walking at altitude
- Please remember to bring with you: packed lunch, Layered clothing (short-sleeved shirt - long-sleeved thermal shirt - fleece or sweatshirt), hiking shoes anorak jacket and water (minimum 1,5l)
- We strongly advise you to also bring with you snacks, trekking sticks, a backpack, sunglasses, sunscreen, gloves and hat (depending on the season), spare socks and a spare t-shirt and a handkerchief or a bandana (to protect against volcanic dust or gases)
- Every day from April 1st to December 1st
- Departure time: 11.00am
- Meeting time: 10.00am
Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the activity begins.