Mahabalipuram day trip from Chennai
- Step back in time on a historical tour
- Discover the beautiful Shore Temple
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
After being picked up at your hotel, you will head to visit the Shore Temple, which sits by the sea shore of the Bay of Bengal. Built with blocks of granite from the 8th century AD, the temple is one of the oldest rock-cut wonders, a structural magnificence of South India, and listed among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Next, head to the Arjuna’s Penance, a giant bas-relief from the 7th century. This magnificent monolith was carved in the mid-7th century. It’s one of the most famous rock carvings in Mahabalipuram and among the biggest open-air rock canvases in the world. On its surface are renditions of animals, birds, beasts, Gods, and Goddesses depicting stories from Indian lore.
Visit the Panch Pandava Rathas, which is a monumental complex dating back to the 7th century. With monolithic rock-cut architecture representing the diversity of Dravidian architecture, each of these temple sculptures are carved out of a whole rock in the shape of pagodas.
After sightseeing, the afternoon time is free for you to use at your leisure, and you can go to the beach and relax. Later in the evening, explore the town of Mahabalipuram, where you can watch how the soapstone workers carve beautiful designs out of stones with their chisels and hammers. Your tour ends with a ride back to your Chennai hotel with arrival around 4.00pm.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Sightseeing as per itinerary above
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Free: children 4 years of age and under
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may not be allowed to enter if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Dress code is smart casual
Every day at 8.00am
After pick-up from your hotel at 3:30pm, you will drive to Kapaleeshwarar temple - built by the Pall...
Following pickup from your hotel in Chennai, your first stop will be at Fort St. George: believed to...
Take part in this full-day sightseeing tour of Chennai visiting Marina Beach, the St. George Fort, c...
This half-day city tour of Chennai is the perfect option to see incredible places the city has to of...
Discover Pondicherry in this full-day tour packed right to the brim! Pondicherry is a wonderful plac...
During this tour of Mylapore, an ancient town in the heart of modern Chennai, you’ll be able to expe...