Samaria Gorge hiking from Chania
- Hike through the longest gorge in Europe
- Enjoy a stunning landscape of dense vegetation, streams and steep cliffs
- Admire local flora and fauna in their natural environment
Your day will begin very early in the morning as the bus will come to pick you up. You'll reach Omalos Plateau, where you can have breakfast before entering the gorge.
The trail follows the route of the ancient river Taras and along the way the scenery becomes more exciting. During the walk, you will admire the caves that protected the Cretans in war times, now natural habitat of the well-known, as well as endangered Kri-Kri (wild goats). You will also discover herbs and plants only growing in Crete. Halfway, you will reach the abandoned village of Samaria and the Church of Osia Maria. The gorge gradually narrows and when you'll reach Sideroportes ("iron gates") the soaring walls will be as high as 500m above sea level with only 3,5m width. Around 1:30pm the hiking will finish at the village of Agia Roumeli, offering you the chance to refresh. The bus will take you back to Chania, around 8:00 pm. This route also goes past Venetian castles and ruins of prehistoric settlements as well as remnants of many other historical periods. The hike will finish at Ayia Rouméli, where there will be enough time to rest, taste a real Cretan lunch and enjoy a swim in the crystal clear waters of the Libyan Sea. Lastly, the ferry will bring you back to the village of Sfakia.
- Hiking escort
- Transport on an air-conditioned coach
- Pick-up and drop-off from designated areas
- Food and drinks
- Boat tickets from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia (euro 10.00 per adult and euro 5.50 per child paid on the spot in cash)
- Samaria Gorge Entrance Fee (Euro 5.00 per person paid on the spot in cash)
- The tour is not recommended to young children
- Child (7-11): 50% discount
Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking
- Infants won't be provided with seats on the bus
- The trip is not recommended to any person with a history of knee problems, high blood pressure, cardiac and pulmonary problems, to pregnant women, young children and anybody who suffers from vertigo/fear of heights.
- Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel the tour due to adverse weather conditions, insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
- Every day
Turn a relaxing day at the beach into a thrilling experience! Take this snorkeling boat tour from Ch...
Choose to have this half-day trip in the morning or in the afternoon. In the morning the trip will s...
Experience a half-day trip on the pirate boat Black Rose. Firstly, you will stop at St. George's bay...
Spend your morning deep into the archaeology and culture of the beautiful island of Crete. After bei...
Join the 5-hour tour and discover the Cave of Sfentoni, one of the most interesting caves in Crete, ...
Take part in an unforgettable cruise from Ierapetra to Chrissi, one of Europe’s southernmost Mediter...