'Balenciaga and Spanish painting' exhibition and Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza skip-the-line tickets
- Discover the connection between the work of fashion designer Cristóbal Balenciaga and the tradition of Spanish painting
- Admire 90 items of dress, many of them never previously exhibited in public
- An exceptional group of 55 works, among them works by El Greco, Velázquez, Murillo, Goya and many others
In the summer of 2019 the museum is presenting an exhibition that connects the work of Cristóbal Balenciaga, the most admired and influential fashion designer of all time, with the tradition of 16th- to 20th-century Spanish painting.
References to Spanish art and culture are a recurring presence in Balenciaga’s work. The simple, minimalist lines of religious habits or the architectural volume of their cloth are to be found in many of his designs. The billowing train of a flamenco dancer’s dress echoed in the flounces on some dresses, the glinting reflections on a bullfighter’s suit, brilliantly conveyed in the sequin embroidery on a bolero jacket, and the aesthetic of Habsburg court dress echoed in black velvets embellished with jet trim in some creations are just a few examples. Balenciaga constantly studied the history of art and made use of these influences, expressed through his own powerful and unique style, throughout his career, including his most avant-garde period, reviving historic garments and reinterpreting them in a strikingly modern manner.
The exhibition, curated by Eloy Martínez de la Pera, will include a carefully selected group of paintings loaned from private Spanish collections and public museums, including the Museo Nacional del Prado and the Museum of Fine Arts of Bilbao. They will be accompanied by a group of important creations by Balenciaga, loaned from the Museo Balenciaga in Guetaria, Museo del Traje in Madrid and Museu del Disseny in Barcelona and other international and national private collections, some of them never previously exhibited before.
- Entrance to the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza (permanent collection)
- Entrance to the temporary exhibition: 'Balenciaga and Spanish painting' (from 18 June to 22 September 2019)
- Audio guide (only if you select this option)
- Free Admission Ticket: Under 18 years old, people with disabilities, Comunidad de Madrid guide, other autonomous community guide, Amigo MNAC, Youth Card holders
- Reduced Admission Ticket: Students, over 65 and pensioners
- Note: Eligibility for reduced-rate and free tickets must be proved at the access-control point with a valid ID
Paseo del Prado, 8, 28014 Madrid, Spain
Metro: Banco de España. Buses: 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 14, 15, 20, 27, 34, 37, 45, 51, 52, 53, 74, 146 and 150. Train: Estaciones de Atocha, Sol and Recoletos.
- With this ticket you can visit the museum's permanent and temporary exhibition
- Ticket valid only on the printed date
- No re-entry to temporary exhibitions
- Last visitors admitted 1 hour before closing
- All galleries are cleared 5 minutes before closing
- Please arrive 15 minutes ahead to facilitate admission at the scheduled time
- Between the end of June and the beginning of September, the museum will extend its hours for the summer months
'Balenciaga and Spanish painting'
From 18 to 27 June and from 8 to 22 September:
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday to Sunday: from 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Saturday: from 10.00am to 9.00pm
From 28 June to 7 September:
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday to Saturday: from 10.00am to 10.00pm
- Sunday: from 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Tuesday to Sunday: 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Mondays: free admission from 12.00pm to 4.00pm
- The museum is closed on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December
- On 24 and 31 December, opening hours are from 10.00am to 3.00pm
22th November, Stardust Madrid at Sala Cool invite: Tadeo (Token Records, Stardust Madrid) J. Gonzal...
NORLS EVERY FRIDAY Genres: Hits Lines Up: TBA Atmospheres: Elegant Door Policies: Casual dress code ...
23/11 - Roots w/ DJ Koolt, Ion Pananides, Enzo & Isbel Goya Social Club, Madrid [ Pablo's Bday Bash ...
On Thursday, November 14 Vibes presents a very special night of residents with the best micro-house ...
ROOM NAZCA END OF YEAR 2019 Genres: Hits,Reggaeton Atmospheres: Urban Door Policies: Casual dress co...
Code is the most popular techno party in Madrid. Next November 16th, it celebrates its 16th annivers...