You could spend days wandering the lantern-covered streets of Chinatown, but this hour-long tour has been designed as an introduction to immerse you in its unique history and culture and give you a few reasons to come back again later. The tour starts near the Dragon’s Gate, to discuss the history of this once-rough area, and address the mystery of SF’s moving waterline. Stopping at historical points of interest, your guide will introduce you to the often-overlooked history of Asian immigration to the US - it goes back much farther than you may think - and explain the ways that Chinatown has been integral to the growth of San Francisco as a whole. But this tour is only partially about history; you'll also be immersed you in the modern life of the neighborhood that is a fascinating mix of East and West. You’ll stop off at landmarks like Waverly Place, Portsmouth Square, and St. Mary’s Cathedral. You'll discuss Chinese medicine at a traditional apothecary, tempt your tastebuds at some of the city’s best bakeries, and even taste some fresh fortune cookies (an SF invention) at the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory. Before you go, your guide will recommend some of his favorite places to eat dim sum so you can come back later to eat in one of the foodie capitals of the city.
Through The Dragon Gate: Chinatown Tour
Availability: Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays,Saturdays, Sundays
Mobile voucher accepted
Duration: up to 1 hour 30 minutes
Do this because
- Admire the Chinatown landmarks including Waverly Place, Portsmouth Square, St. Mary’s Cathedral and more
- Enjoy a fresh fortune cookie tasting
- Visit local favorites including like bakeries, clothing shops and traditional medicine shops
What to expect
- Guided Walking Tour
- Expert local guide
What's not included
- Hotel Pick-Up/Drop-Off
- Infants up to 3 years are free of charge
10 Mark Ln, San Francisco, CA 94108, USA
10 Mark Lane (The Irish Bank). Meet at the entrance of Mark Alley from Bush Street.
What to remember
- Please note, on the Chinatown tour a visit of the Fortune Cookie Factory is not always guaranteed depending on how busy the factory is on the day of the visit
- While we try to avoid extreme inclines and declines, due to San Francisco's hills as well as crowded city streets and unpaved pathways, guests with mobility limitations, wheelchairs, or strollers cannot be accommodated
- 31 March 2019 - 31 October 2019: Daily (except Tuesdays)
- Meeting Time: 3:45pm
- Departure Time: 4:00pm
Walks LLC - US
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Unfortunately, we can't offer you a refund nor can we change or cancel your booking for this particular product, due to our partner's policy.